Friday, November 27, 2009

feeling thankful

This week in school I taught my kids about thanksgiving – or as much as I could. As I handed out coloring pages of Native Americans and Pilgrims the kids asked, “Who are these people?” Or they would constantly call their turkey a ^Some kids from the 3rd grade making their cards for their families.
chicken or dove; they don’t know what a turkey is. So, who knows how much they got out of my lesson about thanksgiving but that’s okay, I tried! And plus hopefully their moms, dads, or grandparents enjoyed the cards that they made despite whether they can understand them; “I am thankful for my family… “ etc.
So for our Than
ksgiving we decided to each make a dish (4 of us Americans) and have a feast. We invited Bernardo (our friend from Motril), and Laura’s roommates from Austria and Russia. It was cool to share our traditions with them for the first time. We had scalloped potatoes (made by me), yams, green beans, stuffing, and a typical Spanish dish and Russian dish. ^ Laura, Bernardo, Me, Andrew and Natasha (from Russia). Oh, and unfortunately we didn’t have a turkey but we had a delicious roasted chicken! It was a great success! I really missed the east coast family since that is who I have spent thanksgiving with the past 4 years and of course I missed ALL of my wonderful family and friends on this day! But all of us at our dinner felt very thankful to have each other, this opportunity to teach & live in
Spain, and all of the new experiences we have to look forward to.


No comments:

Post a Comment