Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Are we in Spain, or Romania?

So far we have only met Romanians. Which is fine because we still speak in Spanish, which is the goal of living here, but sometimes we feel like we are in Romania and not Spain. It is very humorous. As I mentioned in the last blog, we were all looking very forward to going out with Pepe, our new Romanian friend. On Saturday the other CIEE girls arrived (they are great, by the way) and we prepared for the big night out with Pepe. We told him to come over with his Spanish friends for a drink and well, he brought Martin – our other 40-year-old Romanian friend. We enjoyed a few drinks with them and we went to a few other bars and eventually they asked if we wanted to go to a discoteca…we said sure! Where did we end up? Well, we still aren’t quite sure. At a Romanian discoteca in the woods of Calahonda (the town next door). It was fun, yes, but just very, very random and a bit crazy. We learned about dancing and music in Romania, which is very cool, but we are still anxious to make some Spanish friends and learn about the nightlife in Motril and with Spaniards. It was a night to remember, that’s for sure. (Oh, also, on Friday we went to a bar near our apartment and talked to the bartender – trying to make conversation and friends – and we found out is from, guess where? Romania!)

Tomorrow is the big day: I start school. I went there today to meet my “bilingual coordinator,” Antonio, and the whole experience made me so happy and excited for what’s to come. Antonio is so incredibly nice and helpful and he introduced me to almost all of the other teachers (a lot to remember) and showed me around the school. It is in a nice area with a nice view of the Sierra Nevadas. I saw some of the classrooms and all of the kids were excited to see me and said “Hello! Hello!” I also glanced at the map in the English room and Alaska and North Carolina were outlined…it was very cute. (There is another girl, Alisha, teaching there from North Carolina, so they are excited to have us). Tomorrow is our first official day but I think we are just going to talk about our schedule. I don’t know if I already mentioned this, but I am only working 12 hour days with Fridays off. Pretty nice huh? I am also going to put up signs for private classes tomorrow to make some extra money and have less free time.

Everything at the apartment is going well. I have discovered living with a guy is pretty nice but also very different seeing as he eats all the time. We are all getting along great and keeping a positive, lighthearted attitude about everything we have encountered so far.

I have been to a town called Almuñecar quite a bit this week trying to help Jessi (another CIEE girl who I immediately clicked with), find an apartment. It is a beautiful beach town that’s about 30 minutes from here. I would love to live there but Motril is growing on me more and more every day AND the good news is, it’s very close and I have people there to visit!

That’s all for now. Love to all and keep in touch.
Besos! (ps i finally put pictures on facebook...check them out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment