Wednesday, October 7, 2009

first week of school

It’s amazing that I have only been here (in Motril) for a little over 2 weeks – it feels like it has been forever. Last week I finally decided to go to my school and meet the professors and it made me really excited about starting work. I met with my coordinator, Antonio and he is really, really nice. He genuinely wants to make sure we are taken care of and are happy here in Motril. He showed me around the school and introduced me to many teachers that I would be working with. All of the teachers were really excited to have me and knew who I was. When we walked into Antonio’s English classroom the kids had outlined Alaska and North Carolina (where the other girl is from) on the map – it was very cute. The school also has a beautiful view of the mountains, which is nice. The next day was supposed to be our “first day” but Alisha and I showed up and just watched Antonio and some others figure out our schedules (of course they didn’t have those ready yet…this is Spain!) They asked if one of us would prefer to be with the little or older kids and I said I didn’t care and Alisha preferred the older kids so I was told I would be with 3-8 year olds!

Monday was my first “real” day. I showed up at 9 for my first class with 3rd graders. I was really nervous but the whole day went really well. The kids were excited to have me and were interested in my life. The hardest part: NOT speaking Spanish. The kids (even the 3rd graders and ESPECIALLY the 1st graders) hardly know ANY English. So what exactly is my role here? It’s really hard. Some of the teachers were really good at helping me and making it interesting to have me but some of the others didn’t know what to do with me there. Highlights of the day: getting a note from a 1st grader with my name on it and hearts surrounding it and then a little girl saying “teacher, teacher…you have beautiful eyes.” Yesterday I had the pre-school kids in the morning and I started to appreciate the 1st graders. I also gained some respect for Aunt Janet and anyone who has ever taught first graders. It was hard. It also made it hard because a few of the teachers just looked at me and waited for me to know what to do. What do you do with a group of 4 year olds who don’t speak English? On your first day and no experience doing this even with kids who speak English? Next time I am coming prepared with songs and books because even if they don’t understand at least it’s something, right? Ugh! But then I went to a first grade class and was excited to at least be able to converse (even if it’s in Spanish – oops). Of course every girl wants to know about Hannah Montana (a Disney show) and The Jonas Brothers. And then a boy told me “bye bye, te quiero mucho” (I love you so much). That made my day better… Today I had the three year olds. They came in to the class crying, running, screaming. What the heck am I supposed to do with three year olds and english? I DONT KNOW. its really hard because the teachers also have no idea and stare at me with a blank look and say, ¨well, are you going to teach them a song or something?¨ So I have to prepare for next class. which is ironic because I don´t have to prepare anything for the older kids because i am an assistant and not expected to do that. But i will do my best. And at least they are very, very cute.

Also – I am only working Monday – Wednesday. Welcome to la vida Española. I am hoping to get private classes very soon because I am going to get sick of all of my free time. One of my (young) teachers also asked me to meet with her for coffee every week to speak English and then also help me with Spanish so that’s exciting. I was trying to go to Barcelona this weekend because we have a long weekend (really long for me, Thursday – Monday) but I didn’t figure it out soon enough so I am going to have to go another weekend. We plan to spend some time in Granada, which will be really exciting to be back.

Just a short summary of my weekend: Friday we went out with our friend’s Russian (but Spanish) roommate who showed us a lot of fun bars in the area. It was good to go out with her and speak Spanish with people. Saturday: we went to the beach and had an early night out because of being so tired from Friday. Sunday: we went to a “festival” in Salobrena but I think we missed the main event because we only saw the tents set up with LOTS of nuts and dried fruit – Papa, you would have been in heaven! It was fun and beautiful.

I’m off to bed for another long day of work (ha, ha). I miss all of you and love you a lot. I hope you are all well and please keep me updated on your life.

Besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment