Sunday, February 14, 2010

the gift of meeting new people

In the past few weeks I have discovered how lucky I am to have met so many different and great people. I would like to mention my good friend Jessi who has unfortunately left Spain early to start a new chapter of her life back in the US. I am sad she is gone -- she is someone who I immediately felt connected with and although she was living in Granada it was a comfort to have her close by and someone who I felt like I could talk to. I am happy for her new adventures coming up (including getting engaged!) and hopefully I can visit her in Colorado soon. (Also a wonderful thing -- having people to visit all over the world!) Jessi I miss you guapa!

Jessi & Me

A few weeks ago Jessi and I were graced with the presence of our Australian friends whom we met in Scotland. It was SO good to see the 3 mates and show them around Granada and Salobrena. They all are incredibly funny, nice and SO fun to be around. It was a treat to have them here for a few days and to share many many laughs. Hopefully someday I can make it down under...

Me, Tom, Jessi, Josh & Nath

Recently I have had the opportunity to get to know one of my teachers, Ana, better. We had talked before about being each others "intercambio" where we could meet once a week and talk in both English/Spanish and help the other improve conversational skills. Finally, last week Ana asked me if I wanted to get together and asked if I would like to come over to her house for lunch. Of course I said yes! I had no idea what to expect and of course it was a funny experience... I showed up to meet Ana and she said "Wow, we have quite the afternoon planned!" It turns out it was her son's birthday (1 year old) so we were having a birthday lunch with her whole family. I was confused as to why I was invited to this...? Although I felt awkward and confused I was excited for the cultural experience. Ana's mother in-law made Paella (of course a typical Spanish dish eaten often for special occasions) and it was delicious. I had just recovered from getting over a stomach bug so it was a lot to handle -- especially once I discovered I was eating rabbit... At first I felt shy and did not contribute much to the conversation (among 6 family members) but then I warmed up and it was really fun! I love meeting more people here in Motril and I still am amazed at how welcoming everyone has been to me. The food was delicious and it was even better surrounded by great company. After lunch Ana's mother in-law showed me her artwork (beautiful paintings) and the view from their roof. Ana and I continued to chat afterward until I had to leave for a lesson. I was so giddy with excitement about my afternoon and the amazing food I had eaten, the new wonderful Spaniards I just met, and the new level of friendship I was creating with one of my teachers. We are going to try to make it a regular thing (whether it is coffee, paella, or whatever!) so that will be nice.

Again, I feel blessed to have meet wonderful people during my time here so far whether it is the people in this program, the people I am working with, or other travelers exploring the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment